WA’s Innovation Booster Grant (IBG)

innovation booster grant

If you’re a Western Australia startup/small business looking to commercialise your innovative ideas or projects, and expand to create jobs, then apply for the Innovation Booster Grant (IBG).

IBG program for the 2023-24 academic year

The Innovation Booster Grant (IBG) represents a competitive grant program supported by the Western Australian government. It is financed through the $25.8 million New Industries Fund, which falls under the purview of the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science, and Innovation (JTSI).

Formerly recognized as the ‘Innovation Vouchers Program’ until 2022, the IBG has undergone additional enhancements for the 2023-24 period. These modifications are geared towards specifically supporting early-stage founders of innovation-driven small enterprises and startups. The grant aims to aid them in successfully executing impactful and innovative projects, fostering expansion, and contributing to job creation.

Applicants can access a maximum grant of $40,000, with a stipulated requirement for recipients to contribute a net cash co-contribution of at least 20%, with the remaining 80% coming from the WA government funding.

For instance, in a project with a total cost of $50,000 (excluding GST), the recipient must contribute a minimum of $10,000 alongside the maximum $40,000 grant.

Online applications are accepted throughout the year via the provided links. Evaluation panels will convene at various times during the financial year, and successful recipients will be announced in due course.

Upon selection, eligible recipients can access funds for up to 12 months from the grant award date, with 75% of the funding available immediately. The remaining 25% can be claimed upon completion of all project work, subject to the submission and approval of a final acquittal report by JTSI.

Eligible activities/expenditure

The following types of activities are eligible for IBG funding:

Research and Development

  • technical development
  • compliance testing
  • proof of concept
  • product testing and validation
  • laboratory verification
  • certification

Product Development

  • engineering design work
  • prototype development
  • innovation design
  • building a minimum viable product (MVP)

Technology Transfer and Intellectual Property

  • protection of intellectual property
  • legal advice
  • licensing

Commercialisation Support Services

  • innovation management and consulting
  • commercialisation strategies (including marketing strategies which support market entry)
  • commercialisation feasibility studies.

To access comprehensive application guidelines, please refer to this link

If you’re a Western Australian business and want the best advice to keep moving onward and upward, contact Fullstack Advisory so you can leverage our expertise and knowledge of all the grants, R&D incentives, and rebates you’re entitled to.

Was this article helpful?

Stuart Reynolds is the founder of Fullstack Advisory, an award-winning accounting firm for businesses leading the future. He is a 3rd generation accountant who specialises in tech & online companies.

Share this Article

Find out more.

Need accounting

Request a consultation and speak to one of our business accountants & advisors. Get clear next steps for your project.

Connect with us

Ask Us a Question?

Reach out to us about any of the topics in this article.


Speak to our experts

Other ways to get in touch with us.

Your Privacy


We will never share your details with any third-party.

This form collects your name contact number and email address so that we can contact with you and provide a quote for our services. Please check our Privacy policy to see how we protect and manage your submitted data.



Suite 63, 388 George St, Sydney NSW 2000



120 Spencer St Melbourne VIC 3000



310 Edward St Brisbane QLD 4000